Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a quick and easy vegetarian version of miso soup.
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 4 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup spinach, shredded
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons miso
- tofu, cut into cubes
- In a soup pot Boil 250ml of water with 1 vegetable stock cube, once it comes to a boil turn down to simmer.
- Add the sliced carrots and mushrooms and simmer lightly for a few minutes.
- Add the spinach and continue to simmer until they're barely tender.
- In a separate bowl, mix the miso paste with about 250ml of the soup stock, until it's smooth with no lumps.
- Add the miso mixture and the tofu cubes to the pot.
- Heat gently and take care not to boil -or the miso will lose some of its flavour.
i made this as a larger batch, and with chicken broth because i didn't have vegetable, omitted the carrot because i didn't have it, and used a can of mushrooms - even the tofu hater liked it enough to eat again
Love miso soup, so this gets 4 stars, no problem. I was a little confused with step 4, but ended up mixing the miso paste in with ANOTHER 250ml of water than adding that to the already boiling 250ml of stock... hm, then I threw in the tofu. Good miso soup.