Recipe by Mrs. Mike F
This is an easy budget stretching favorite from our early marriage. It freezes well for Once a Month Cooking, and makes a great big batch. My husband prefers it to never reach the freezer, though--just eat it for lunch until it's all gone. We make it with our "Parsley Pesto" which is more special. To make it vegan/vegetarian, omit the chicken broth.
Top Review by MoreWithLessMom
Even the carnivore hubby liked this one, very hearty. It could use a punch of flavor but that just means season to your taste. You could also use more broth and less water. I liked the flavor as it was, though.
- 2838.0 ml water
- 2 can chicken broth
- 1 can great northern bean
- 680.38 g cabbage (chopped)
- 4 carrots, diced
- 453.59 g can Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 stalk celery (chopped)
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 large tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- salt and pepper
- 59.14 ml chopped parsley
- 236.59 ml broken spaghetti (or desired pasta)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat water, chicken broth, 2 tsp.
- salt, beans, cabbage, carrots, canned tomatoes and celery.
- Cook at a simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a separate pan, saute onions in oil for 5 min.
- Add zucchini, tomato, garlic to the saute--cook on low for 20 minutes, covered.
- Add saute to bean mixture along with parsley and noodles.
- Cook slowly, covered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- *IfI am going to freeze this, I skip the pasta.