This is the way my mother introduced us to F.O.S. in the 80s. It is still my favorite soup recipe and is made in the microwave with very little prep.
- Slice onions.
- Place onions and butter in microwave-safe dish and microwave on high 4-6 minutes.
- Add water and seasonings to onions.
- Stir to combine ingredients, then microwave on high 5 minutes.
- Change power setting to 50% (medium) and microwave 15-20 minutes.
- Toast bread and place in to bowls.
- Ladle soup over bread, top with mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle with parmesan.
- Microwave 5 minutes on medium until cheese is melted.
Made for My 3 Chefs - Very good soup and quite similar to my stove top recipe. I think the only thing I missed was that I caramelize my onions and it adds great colour and flavour. Thx Mrs. Sherm.
I really liked this soup from start to finish. I didn't have any dry onion soup mix, so I used Dried Onion Soup Mix instead. I reduced the butter to 1 tablespoon and 1 medium onion since I cut this in 1/2. I also had my own beef broth, so subbed the broth out for the bouillon too. Fast, and oh so tasty. I put this in my big coffee cup, sat and watched the day finish and enjoy this warm soup. Thank you Mrs. Sherm!