Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is the way my mother introduced us to F.O.S. in the 80s. It is still my favorite soup recipe and is made in the microwave with very little prep.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 medium onions
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 ounce dry onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Slice onions.
- Place onions and butter in microwave-safe dish and microwave on high 4-6 minutes.
- Add water and seasonings to onions.
- Stir to combine ingredients, then microwave on high 5 minutes.
- Change power setting to 50% (medium) and microwave 15-20 minutes.
- Toast bread and place in to bowls.
- Ladle soup over bread, top with mozzarella cheese.
- Sprinkle with parmesan.
- Microwave 5 minutes on medium until cheese is melted.
Made for My 3 Chefs - Very good soup and quite similar to my stove top recipe. I think the only thing I missed was that I caramelize my onions and it adds great colour and flavour. Thx Mrs. Sherm.
I really liked this soup from start to finish. I didn't have any dry onion soup mix, so I used Recipe #327297 instead. I reduced the butter to 1 tablespoon and 1 medium onion since I cut this in 1/2. I also had my own beef broth, so subbed the broth out for the bouillon too. Fast, and oh so tasty. I put this in my big coffee cup, sat and watched the day finish and enjoy this warm soup. Thank you Mrs. Sherm!