Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
My sister-in-law who was born and raised in Mexico City taught me how to make this simple side dish. I also use a mound of this rice in a bowl of Mexican beef stew (carne guisada #80408) - so yummy.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pepper (your preference, sweet or hot)
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw converted rice
- 1 cup frozen vegetables (such as peas, corn, chopped carrots, or a combination)
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- chopped cilantro (amount to your taste, either as a garnish only, or a few tbsp chopped, mixed in)
- salsa, on the side
- Heat oil in a non-stick sauce pan that has a tight fitting lid.
- Add onion and pepper.
- Saute until tender.
- Add rice.
- Saute rice until opaque.
- Add vegetables, bouillon, garlic and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Keep tightly covered and simmer 15- 20 minutes- do not peek.
- Serve with chopped cilantro on top or mixed in dish.
- Pass the salsa.
- Note, I have used chopped fresh or frozen spinach instead of the frozen vegetables and it was very good.
Great flavour and very simple to make. This is something that once you get to the lid on and simmer stage you can set the timer and walk away. Love that! I reduced the oil to about 2 teaspoons and it worked no problems! I used regular long grain rice and chopped fresh vegetables (as I hardly ever have any frozen). I used carrot, beans , mushroom and corn. Served with grilled chicken and salsa for a tasty and healthy meal.
A tasty simple recipe, thanks for posting. I have made it several times now and always enjoy it. I also like it minus the cup of mixed vegetables but with the addition of some grated cheese and a decent amount of chopped parsley just before serving - either way it works really well as a side dish or the basis of a main meal with some grilled chicken or marinated lamb.
Very nice Mexican rice! I typically use Pot Scrubber's recipe for Mexican rice, but sometimes I don't have the time to tie up the oven for the rice at one temp and the rest of the meal at another temp, so this is a perfect stand-in for when I need to make the rice on the stovetop from start to finish. I used some tomato-chicken flavored powdered bouillon and Jasmine rice for this. This went perfectly with the fish and summer squash that we ate for dinner. Thanks for posting! Made for The Honeys for ZWT8