Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
For Garlic lover's. Not for the weak of heart. This dish can be served with a crisp, green salad. You can adjust the garlic amount to your taste preferences.
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2⁄3 cup beef stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) canmixed beans or 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 small French bread, loaf thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat two tablespoons Oil in a large pan. Cook the Onion until it starts to soften, then add the 3 crushed cloves of Garlic and cook for two more minutes.
- Stir in the Ground Beef and cook until browned.
- Add the spices, cook for an additional minute.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Stir in the Stock, Tomatoes, green Pepper, Tomato Paste and Oregano and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Transfer the chili to a large gratin or casserole dish.
- Heat the remaining three Tablespoons of oil, add the 6 thinly sliced cloves of Garlic and cook slowly to soften.
- Remove from the heat, brush the bread slices, front and back with the oil/garlic mixture.
- Arrange the treated bread slices on top of the chili.
- Scatter the remaining oil/garlic slices and the grated cheese over the top of the bread.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
What a nice take on chili! My family just ate it up and loved how garlicy and good it is. Made exactly as written and I wouldn't change a thing. I did serve with additional cheese for the chili itself.
My goodness this is good!! I used 1 beef bouillion cube and 2/3 c water instead of stock - that took care of the seasoning so I didn't need to add any salt or pepper. I did add the (rinsed and drained) beans along with the bell pepper and tomatoes because I misread the recipe, but they didn't seem to mind the extra 25 minutes of cooking. :-) Will take Wildflour's advice and use extra cheese the next time. But now, I'll go and stuff myself silly with some more of this chili pie! Thank you very much for sharing!
The dang button doesn't go up to 10 stars!!!!!!! But this recipe does!!!!!!!!!! We REALLY loved this!!!!!! Another keeper!!!!!!!!! Thank you SO VERY much!!!!!! :) *I did though add extra cheese on top, and put in 1 tsp. chili powder (by accident!), but it was PERFECT for us!!!! ONLY problem? I'll need to DOUBLE this next time!!! And, oh yeah, there WILL be a next time!!! Thanks again!!!!