Recipe by Debloves2cook
For Garlic lover's. Not for the weak of heart. This dish can be served with a crisp, green salad. You can adjust the garlic amount to your taste preferences.
Top Review by invictus
What a nice take on chili! My family just ate it up and loved how garlicy and good it is. Made exactly as written and I wouldn't change a thing. I did serve with additional cheese for the chili itself.
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2⁄3 cup beef stock
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) canmixed beans or 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 small French bread, loaf thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat two tablespoons Oil in a large pan. Cook the Onion until it starts to soften, then add the 3 crushed cloves of Garlic and cook for two more minutes.
- Stir in the Ground Beef and cook until browned.
- Add the spices, cook for an additional minute.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Stir in the Stock, Tomatoes, green Pepper, Tomato Paste and Oregano and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Transfer the chili to a large gratin or casserole dish.
- Heat the remaining three Tablespoons of oil, add the 6 thinly sliced cloves of Garlic and cook slowly to soften.
- Remove from the heat, brush the bread slices, front and back with the oil/garlic mixture.
- Arrange the treated bread slices on top of the chili.
- Scatter the remaining oil/garlic slices and the grated cheese over the top of the bread.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.