Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very easy and tasty meat sauce to serve over your favorite pasta. I think traditionally you'd serve it over spaghetti but my kids like it with rigatoni and penne etc. Also good to make a baked ziti with or lasagna. I usually use minced garlic by the spoonfull so I am just guessing as to the amount of garlic. If you are a garlic lover used more, if not, use less. I think the origional recipe (from my mom) called for the addition of diced onion (add with the beef) and sugar (add with the tomatoes). I don't find a need for either of these things.
- Brown ground beef in a large pan breaking it up with the spoon. I use an electric skillet.
- Drain away the grease and add the garlic. Let it cook until you start to smell it and it starts to take on a little color. Don't let it burn. Stir often.
- Add the tomatoes, the sauce, the paste and the oregano. Stir well.
- Cover and gently simmer for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour +/-. It can cook for quite some time and be all the better for it.
- Serve with your favorite pasta or use in your favorite recipe. I usually cook up a pound and 1/2 of rigatoni for this sauce.