Recipe by hellokitty
For pastas, lasagnas, anything! From Giada De Laurentiis' show Everyday Italian.
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 stalk celery & leaves, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 32 ounces crushed tomatoes (or 2 cans)
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large casserole pot or skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, or about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the celery and carrots and season with salt and pepper, I usually go with a large pinch of salt and a whole lot of pepper because I love black pepper, but it is up to your tastes.
- Add tomatoes and bay leaves and simmer uncovered on low heat for one hour or until thick.
- Remove the bay leaves and check for seasoning. If the sauce still tastes acidic, add the unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time to round out the flavors.
- Add 1/2 of the tomato sauce to the food processor and process until smooth. Continue with the remaining 1/2 of the tomato sauce.
- If not using up all of the sauce at once, allow it to cool completely and then freeze in freezer bags. This can be kept frozen for up to 6 months.