Recipe by Nado2003
I got this recipe from my neighbor who spent three years studying in Italy, her boyfriend's real Italian mother made it.
Top Review by flower7
I had half a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes to use so cut this recipe down to take advantage. About half-way through the cook time I added some fresh chopped basil since my tomatoes were plain. Served over whole wheat rotini. Thanks so much for the recipe!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled,and chopped into 1 squares (pretty big chunks)
- 1 ounce shredded fresh parmesan cheese, to top,to taste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole peeled canned plum tomatoes, with tomato juice and basil
Directions See How It's Made
- I usually quadruple this recipe because the sauce keeps so well and we eat it for days.
- Pre-heat heavy saucepan on medium heat, add olive oil and onion, stir until onion is clear (3-4 minutes).
- Add content of tomato can (s) and salt, stir to blend.
- Bring to bubbles, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until onion is softened (60 minutes).
- While simmering, use wooden spoon, smash whole tomatoes into quarters.
- Serve over penne, cooked al-dente.
- Top with fresh shredded Parmiagian cheese (vegan, omit cheese).