1/1 Photo of Simple Marinara Sauce
1 hr 11 mins
1 hr 8 mins
I got this recipe from my neighbor who spent three years studying in Italy, her boyfriend's real Italian mother made it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1I usually quadruple this recipe because the sauce keeps so well and we eat it for days.
- 2Pre-heat heavy saucepan on medium heat, add olive oil and onion, stir until onion is clear (3-4 minutes).
- 3Add content of tomato can (s) and salt, stir to blend.
- 4Bring to bubbles, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until onion is softened (60 minutes).
- 5While simmering, use wooden spoon, smash whole tomatoes into quarters.
- 6Serve over penne, cooked al-dente.
- 7Top with fresh shredded Parmiagian cheese (vegan, omit cheese).
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Marinara Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 97.5
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1024.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 2.1 g