Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I've made this "recipe" for years. My mom showed me how, and now I make it often. I do it now by taste, so some measurements are approximate.
- 1 (16 ounce) package small elbow macaroni or 1 (16 ounce) package salad macaroni
- 1 cup mayonnaise (more or less, to taste)
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) cansliced black olives, drained
- 1 (4 1/4 ounce) can baby shrimp, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon mustard (more or less, to taste)
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Place in large bowl.
- Add mayonaisse, and mix well to coat all noodles.
- Add more if neccesary (you want them to be quite moist as they will absorb some as it chills).
- Mix in prepared mustard.
- Add green onions, olives and shrimp.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and chill for several hours.
For years, my Aunt Carol brought this salad to family gatherings. Aunt Carol 's Shrimp Salad uses an additional can of shrimp and Miracle Whip thinned with sweet pickle juice rather than mayo - no mustard. I have always loved it. Thank you for sharing Kzim4.
Super easy recipe... I left off the shrimp and just added some finely diced red and green peppers instead. I needed to add some extra mayo (which I didn't have) so I substituted some ranch dressing. It turned out well. Thanks!
I prepared this for a salad buffet. I used shell macaroni, and finely diced, sweet vidalia onions (my grocer didn't have green onions on hand). I also added diced green pepper, fresh parsley and used frozen salad shrimp, instead of the canned. As promised, the salad is very simple. However, 1 cup of mayo (more or less) didn't provide enough dressing for 16 ounces of pasta. I used a bit more mayo and mustard, and also thinned it with a bit of milk. I added a little salt and coarse ground black pepper to bring out the flavor. Shrimp is a favorite around here, and the salad went quickly.