Recipe by Southern Lady
You can prepare in a skillet or top off by baking in the oven. I got this recipe off a brochure that came with my La Machine II food processor 23 years ago and is my standby super quick meal stored in my head. Serve with a green salad and hot rolls - just yummy.
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) box macaroni and cheese mix (Kraft or like)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt, DIVIDED
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef (90/10 or above is best)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup onion, chopped finely, measured amount your preference
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated and DIVIDED
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (or less, your preference)
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, sliced and drained (ingredient is optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare box of Macaroni and Cheese as directed on box with 1/2 tsp Salt added to boiling water.
- Preheat Oven to 350°F.
- Spray Oil an 8 x 8 casserole dish.
- While macaroni is boiling, brown Ground Beef in a large skillet and add chopped Onion the last few minutes lowering heat and cooking until onion is clear in color.
- Drain any fat off the meat.
- In the prepared mac & cheese, fold in 1/4 cup Cheese, Mushroom Soup, milk and Worcestershire Sauce, remaining 1/2 tsp Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Add ground meat mixture and drained Mushrooms (optional) and mix well.
- Transfer mixture into the spray oiled casserole dish and top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- QUICK VERSION: Keep the mixture in the large skillet, sprinkle top with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, lower heat to a very slow simmer and cook until cheese is melted and mixture is heated throughout. (However, I do believe the baked version is tastier).