Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Perfect on a winter night. Serve with a warm loaf of your favorite bread.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 big carrots, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 2 links pre- cooked italian sausage, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- In the pot that will eventually hold the soup, saute the onion and garlic in the oil.
- Add the lentils, carrots, bay leaves, bouillon, and enough water to make the volume of soup that you want. (Remember that the lentils will expand when they cook.).
- Cover and bring to a boil. Once it's boiling, turn the heat to low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the lentils are basically done.
- Add the sausage (I use chicken sausage) and the rest of the herbs, return to a simmer, and cook for about 3 more minutes.