Recipe by Sweetiebarbara
I adapted this recipe from my friend Marian and Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery recipes. This is a great refreshing salad in the Summer.
Top Review by *Parsley*
So simple.... but fresh-tasting, healthy and filling. This is a lovely way to eat lentils in the summer without making a hot soup. The cloves are very subtle. I think if you didn't read the recipe, you woudn't detect the clove flavor. The fresh parsley and scallions are a must. Don't skimp on them! (Or, sub cilantro for parsley.) On a whim, I added a bit of Dijon mustard to the lemon juice/olive oil dressing.... it was sooooo good! Thanx for sharing this recipe.
- 473.18 ml lentils (dried)
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1 onion (whole, studded with the 2 cloves)
- 2 cloves (stud these into the onion)
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 scallions (chopped)
- 236.59 ml parsley (chopped)
- 29.58 ml lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash lentils.
- Add water to cover lentils, boil for 2 minutes.
- Add whole onion (studded with cloves), salt, and bay leaf.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour.
- Bring to boil and cover.
- Simmer gently (to prevent breaking) for about 15 minutes (until tender, do not overcook).
- Drain, remove bay leaf and onion, then cool.
- Add scallions and parsley.
- Whisk olive oil and lemon juice to make an emulsion.
- Pour over lentil mixture and toss.
- Chill and serve.