Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 hrs
My husband used to have a restaurant & when we would cater events we always made this salad. It was always a hit and never any leftovers, just a bit different from most on the site. The lettuce stays crisp for several days, excellent for a lite lunch. Hope you enjoy.
- 1 small head of lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can English peas
- 3 -4 hardboiled egg, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, fried & crumbled (I use the real bacon bits, in the jar)
- 1 lb cheese, shredded, sharp cheddar
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- I use a 13 cup plastic container, with lid.
- Mix mayonnaise with seasonings & sugar, make sure sugar dissolves, put aside.
- Place lettuce on bottom of container.
- Add onion, eggs, then peas.
- Put dressing on top of these layers, smooth out & seal to sides of container.
- Top dressing with bacon, then cheese as top layer.
- Cover & refrigerate for at least 12 hours up to 24 hours.
- You can mix it up before serving, but we just portion out what we want.
- For a large crowd, you can double or triple this easily and feed a bunch of people.
- Cooking time is refrigerator time.
This was very quick and easy to make. I needed something quick and cool to make for a meeting I had one night. Got home and the only things I had to cook were the eggs and bacon. Just placed all ingredients in a covered, rectangular, plastic container and that was it. I did not use onion(personal pref) and in the dressing I used season salt and cajun seasoning instead but those were the only changes I made. It was a big hit on a hot, almost-summer evening.