Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
In 2003, lamb rogan josh was voted as one of the UK's top ten takeaway meals. This version is medium spiced. Can also be made with chicken, shrimp, or vegetables. Timing would need to be adjusted.
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄4 lbs lamb, cut into bite-size cubes
- 8 -10 cardamom pods, lightly crushed with the back of a spoon
- 1 1⁄4 cups lager beer
- In a food processor, blend together the garlic, onion, ginger, all of the ground spices, salt and tomato paste.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole and add the lamb pieces and cardamom pods. Quickly fry until the lamb is browned all over. This may need to be done in 2 batches, depending on the size of your pan. Stir in the spicy paste and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour in the lager and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for about 1-1¼ hours, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened and the lamb is lovely and tender.
- Leave the dish to relax for 5 minutes before serving.