Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Kombu is a type of kelp, filled with trace minerals. It comes in long sheets or strips, but only a small piece is used at a time. You can use this to drink, as a soup base, to cook rice, noodles, etc. Adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.
- 1 piece dried kombu (4-6 inch)
- 1 dash soy sauce
- Place 4 1/2 cups water and the kombu in a pot.
- Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add a little soy sauce to flavor.
- Use as is, as a base for soups, to cook rice, etc.