Recipe by VickyJ
This is great on pasta or rice. It's very easy and doesn't use a lot of ingredients. You could even add a can of Cannellini or Pinto beans (drained and rinsed) when you add the tomatoes to make the foundation for a basic sausage stew.
Top Review by PaulaG
This makes a super quick and simple pasta sauce. I used a mild Italian sausage and wish I had added in a sprinkle of crushed red pepper. The sausage I used was very lean and I needed to add a little water to get it to cook properly. After the meat and vegetables were cooked through the flour was sprinkled over all and allowed to cook a few minutes before adding in the remaining ingredients. The sauce was served with a gluten free linguine and topped with some freshly grated parmesan and a sprinkling of fresh basil. This does make generous servings. Made in memory of VickyJ.
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage (not in the casing)
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 small red onion, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (diced with juice)
- 1 -2 tablespoon flour (if desired, used it for thickening)
- 2 -3 green onions, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medum-sized sauce pan, brown sausage, bell pepper and onion. Make sure vegies are tender.
- Drain off grease.
- Add stewed tomatoes, green onion 1-2 Tbsp of flour (for thickening--I added this to the tomatoes in separate medium-sized bowl and mixed it vigorously with a whisk. Then I added it, along with the green onion to the pan. If you like a thin sauce, don't do this step).
- Bring to a boil over HIGH heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce to low-med, simmer covered for 15 min and uncovered for 15 min, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over pasta or rice with a nice salad on the side with garlic bread.