1/1 Photo of Simple Italian Meat Sauce
3 hrs 10 mins
I got this recipe from my hubbs cute little Sicilian grandmother. Her meat sauce is a favorite in my hubby's family, they looove this meat sauce its served at all family gatherings. It is so simple to make, and freezes really well. You may also make this recipe in the slow cooker.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 large whole garlic cloves
- 1 -3 tablespoon sugar (depending on the acidity of the tomato juice)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet basil
- 3 bay leaves (take out after cooked)
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1In large pan heat 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil, add garlic and sauté, tilt the olive oil in pan to cover the garlic, sauté until opaque.
- 2Immediately add tomato juice, sugar, salt, pepper, sweet basil, and bay leaves. Simmer for about 45 minutes.
- 3Smash the garlic cloves with a fork, add the tomato paste in sauce and a can of water.
- 4In large skillet cook ground beef, drain well (pat with paper towel).
- 5Add beef in sauce, and Simmer at least 2 hours until sauce turns dark red.
- 6Serve with 1 lb. pasta and fresh grated Asiago cheese.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Italian Meat Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 174.1
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 644.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 12.1 g