Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Very simple to cook, tasty. Your teenage kids can cook this with no problem. A pressure cooker speeds up the cooking to just ten mins, if you have one. The use of lemon helps to control the heat of the spices.
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 green cardamoms, open at one end
- 2 cloves
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 lbs skinless chicken, and cubed
- 4 ounces tomato puree
- 1⁄2 pint water
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 1 chicken stock cube, crumbled
- 1 lemon
- Melt the butter and fry the sliced onion, with the garlic and all of the spices over low heat for 10 m ins.
- Add chicken to the pan with tomato puree, stir till the chicken changes colour, add the water.
- Add the coconut, cover the pan simmer for 60 minutes.
- Peel and shred the lemon over the dish when serving.
Changed it a bit to use what I had (dry onions, no coconut). Also, I used an 8 oz can of tomato paste using 4 oz of that to add enough water to make up the needed 1/2 pint of water. Thought I might use milk instead of water next time. Ended adding more garam marsala and chili powder. Think I would cut my chicken into smaller chunks next time for more flavor in the meat and might double the spices and tomato and water, as we would have liked more gravy to put over our rice. All in all, a tasty quick dish that doesn't require a lot of ingredients or time.