Recipe by Red Apple Guy
My wife's favorite sandwich. I'm a pastrami and rye guy, but she loves Italian bread. So this is for Charlotte and anyone who loves simple but flavorful sandwiches. I'm learning that the expensive deli pastrami I use is low in calories (similar to turkey pastrami) and very tasty, but it's not real pastrami. Unless I make it myself, I can't get real pastrami here. Real pastrami is almost 3 times the calories, but much more flavor as it's smoked corned beef. What I use here is Boar's Head pastrami from cap-off top round beef.
- 8 slices Italian bread (I use deli Italian)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard (or your favorite mustard)
- 4 ounces swiss cheese
- 12 ounces pastrami (sliced paper thin but not shaved)
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread mustard on each slice of bread.
- add 1 ounce of cheese and 3 ounces of pastrami per sandwich.
- top with another slice of bread.
- Spread butter on the outside of the assembled sandwich.
- Heat in hot, heavy skillet until bread is toasted and cheese melted.