I have loved mac and cheese all my life, but have recently made it a point (well, usually!) to avoid as much saturated fat and white pasta & flour products as I can. This recipe meets those critera, and although it looks a little different due to the whole wheat ingredients, it tastes just like the real thing:)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil macaroni & 1/2 tsp white salt in water until soft (about 10 minutes or follow package directions).
- 2While macaroni cooks, stir canola oil and flour together in a small saucepan until it boils.
- 3Add milk while continuing to stir. Keep stirring until mixture thickens, then stir in season salt.
- 4Remove pan from heat.
- 5Cut velveeta into small chunks and add to sauce along with shredded cheddar and stir until melted.
- 6Stir in cooked macaroni and pour into a medium casserole dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple, Healthy Macaroni & Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.6
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 17.1 mg
- Sodium 919.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 16.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
KRAFT 2% Milk Shredded Cheddar Cheese