Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I have loved mac and cheese all my life, but have recently made it a point (well, usually!) to avoid as much saturated fat and white pasta & flour products as I can. This recipe meets those critera, and although it looks a little different due to the whole wheat ingredients, it tastes just like the real thing:)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta reduced fat cheese product
- 1⁄2 cup KRAFT 2% Milk Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 8 ounces whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Boil macaroni & 1/2 tsp white salt in water until soft (about 10 minutes or follow package directions).
- While macaroni cooks, stir canola oil and flour together in a small saucepan until it boils.
- Add milk while continuing to stir. Keep stirring until mixture thickens, then stir in season salt.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Cut velveeta into small chunks and add to sauce along with shredded cheddar and stir until melted.
- Stir in cooked macaroni and pour into a medium casserole dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.