1/7 Photos of Simple Ham (Or Pork) Fried Rice W/Sesame Oil No Wok Needed
This is NOT one of the many fried rice recipes that claim to taste just like your local Chinese restaurant. This is just a very tasty, very simple, one skillet fried rice that we have been making for years. The main differences from other recipes seem to be that we use sesame oil to fry the rice, and we do not add soy sauce while cooking. I'm also not going to tell you that you have to let the rice cool before frying. If you can, great, if not, it really doesn't make that big of a difference in this recipe. This is a one-skillet recipe, you do not need to put things in and take them out. It's so much easier this way. I am including pictures on how we scramble the egg in the same pan, I just love this trick! One last suggestion, have everything ready to go when you start, as it comes together very quickly once you start cooking. We always double the batch, my husband mans one skillet and I take the other. Please note, we have done our best to give accurate ingredient amounts, oil may need adjusted depending on your rice. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil (may need a splash more to completely coat rice)
- 1/2 cup sweet onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup carrot (finely cubed or medium shredded)
- 1 cup cooked ham (finely cubed) or 1 cup Chinese barbecue pork (finely cubed)
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup frozen green pea (thawed)
- 1/2 cup water chestnut (sliced)
- 2 green onions (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- kosher salt
- 1Preheat large skillet over medium high heat. Add sesame oil.
- 2Add sweet onion and carrots. Cook until the carrots are tender, about two minutes.
- 3Add the cooked ham (or pork) and combine well.
- 4Add the rice, using a wooden spatula or spoon to separate the rice. Cook until the rice is well coated with the oil, adding a splash more oil if needed, but don't over do it or rice will come out oily.
- 5Push the rice mixture to the sides of the pan, leaving the center of the pan open to cook the egg.
- 6Pour in the beaten egg, cook in the center of the pan until well scrambled. Once the egg is cooked, stir in with the rice mixture.
- 7Add the water chestnuts, green onions, peas and sesame seeds. Stir to combine and season to taste with salt.
- 8Serve as is, or top with soy sauce, teriyaki sauce or my sons favorite, Shrimp (Pink) Sauce Copycat from Lings / Kims Chinese in Medford, depending on your tastes.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Ham (Or Pork) Fried Rice W/Sesame Oil No Wok Needed
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.5
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 124.7 mg
- Sodium 105.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 18.1 g