Recipe by Chef1MOM-Connie
We make breakfast for our Saturday staff and students and I was requested to make a large batch of Greek home fries. In a hurry after work on Friday, I decided to experiment. These are now the Saturday potatoes side for the breakfasts at school. I also have to make additional amounts as DH and DS said "not fair" if we do not get any. LOL Enjoy! I reduced amounts for a family of 4-6 not the 30 I need to make for Saturdays. adjust seasonings to taste.
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
Oh wow, what a fantastic potato dish. I made it for one -- for lunch today -- and it was perfect! I used one potato, 1/2 of a small onion, 1 tablespoon fresh basil, 1 clove of garlic, the juice of half a lemon and 1/4 of the other ingredients. This is so easy to make. Thanks so much for posting your experiment.
- 4 medium potatoes (I like red)
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (diced)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil (I use fresh so chop into small pieces)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (I use more to taste as I love the freshness)
- 3 teaspoons butter or 3 teaspoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and pierce potatoes and microwave 10 min (varies depending n power of microwave) until you can push a dent in to potatoes.
- Let cool.
- Slice in quarters then slice into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In the meantime add oil, garlic, pepper, oregano and diced onions in a large fry pan (big enough to hold potatoes).
- Sauté until just cooked, when onions turn translucent (about 3 minutes).
- Once potatoes are cut, add to fry pan, add butter and basil and cook over medium heat, stirring so potatoes can pick up all the juices and flavors.
- Turn to low, cover and let cook for an additional 10 minutes (approx) until potatoes get the crispy brown edges. mmmmm.
- Add lemon juice and mix.
- Note: times are approximately depending on microwave and stove type. I have propane so it cooks hot.
- ** Add in more or less spices to your liking. I need to adjust for students. With my family, I add in more garlic and lemon and no salt.
- ***Prep and cook times overlap- this is on the table at my home in less than 30 minutes start to finish.