1/6 Photos of Simple Greek Home Fries in a Quickness
We make breakfast for our Saturday staff and students and I was requested to make a large batch of Greek home fries. In a hurry after work on Friday, I decided to experiment. These are now the Saturday potatoes side for the breakfasts at school. I also have to make additional amounts as DH and DS said "not fair" if we do not get any. LOL Enjoy! I reduced amounts for a family of 4-6 not the 30 I need to make for Saturdays. adjust seasonings to taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium potatoes (I like red)
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (diced)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil (I use fresh so chop into small pieces)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (I use more to taste as I love the freshness)
- 3 teaspoons butter or 3 teaspoons margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1Wash and pierce potatoes and microwave 10 min (varies depending n power of microwave) until you can push a dent in to potatoes.
- 2Let cool.
- 3Slice in quarters then slice into 1/2 inch pieces.
- 4In the meantime add oil, garlic, pepper, oregano and diced onions in a large fry pan (big enough to hold potatoes).
- 5Sauté until just cooked, when onions turn translucent (about 3 minutes).
- 6Once potatoes are cut, add to fry pan, add butter and basil and cook over medium heat, stirring so potatoes can pick up all the juices and flavors.
- 7Turn to low, cover and let cook for an additional 10 minutes (approx) until potatoes get the crispy brown edges. mmmmm.
- 8Add lemon juice and mix.
- 10Note: times are approximately depending on microwave and stove type. I have propane so it cooks hot.
- 11** Add in more or less spices to your liking. I need to adjust for students. With my family, I add in more garlic and lemon and no salt.
- 12***Prep and cook times overlap- this is on the table at my home in less than 30 minutes start to finish.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Greek Home Fries in a Quickness
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.6
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 7.5 mg
- Sodium 252.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 4.6 g