We make breakfast for our Saturday staff and students and I was requested to make a large batch of Greek home fries. In a hurry after work on Friday, I decided to experiment. These are now the Saturday potatoes side for the breakfasts at school. I also have to make additional amounts as DH and DS said "not fair" if we do not get any. LOL Enjoy! I reduced amounts for a family of 4-6 not the 30 I need to make for Saturdays. adjust seasonings to taste.
- 4 medium potatoes (I like red)
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove (diced)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil (I use fresh so chop into small pieces)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (I use more to taste as I love the freshness)
- 3 teaspoons butter or 3 teaspoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Wash and pierce potatoes and microwave 10 min (varies depending n power of microwave) until you can push a dent in to potatoes.
- Let cool.
- Slice in quarters then slice into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In the meantime add oil, garlic, pepper, oregano and diced onions in a large fry pan (big enough to hold potatoes).
- Sauté until just cooked, when onions turn translucent (about 3 minutes).
- Once potatoes are cut, add to fry pan, add butter and basil and cook over medium heat, stirring so potatoes can pick up all the juices and flavors.
- Turn to low, cover and let cook for an additional 10 minutes (approx) until potatoes get the crispy brown edges. mmmmm.
- Add lemon juice and mix.
- Note: times are approximately depending on microwave and stove type. I have propane so it cooks hot.
- ** Add in more or less spices to your liking. I need to adjust for students. With my family, I add in more garlic and lemon and no salt.
- ***Prep and cook times overlap- this is on the table at my home in less than 30 minutes start to finish.
Oh wow, what a fantastic potato dish. I made it for one -- for lunch today -- and it was perfect! I used one potato, 1/2 of a small onion, 1 tablespoon fresh basil, 1 clove of garlic, the juice of half a lemon and 1/4 of the other ingredients. This is so easy to make. Thanks so much for posting your experiment.
A really lovely way to serve up potatoes. by mistake the onions kind of crisped up a bit but the taste was great. definitely a keeper, thanks for posting this
Great potatoes Connie. We loved this quick and easy to make dish. It has alot of flavor. The potatoes were crisy and tender all at once. Thank you so much for sharing this lovely recipe. :)