Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A quick, satisfying vegetarian lunch (vegan if you use cheese-free pesto). Katie says, "It’s all of my favorite things sandwiched between two slices of whole wheat bread: buttery avocado, roasted red pepper, as much of my favorite Greek salad ingredients as I could fit, a splash of balsamic vinegar and rich basil pesto. It wouldn’t be the same in any other form; sandwich is the way to go".
- 2 slice soft whole wheat bread (or whole grain bread)
- 1 avocado
- 14.79 ml basil pesto (storebought or homemade)
- roasted red pepper (jarred is fine)
- cucumber, sliced into thin rounds
- thinly sliced red onion
- 6 pitted kalamata olives, thinly sliced
- handful spring mixed salad green
- balsamic vinegar, reduction (or regular balsamic vinegar)
- Pit and peel the avocado half and mash it with a fork. Use a butter knife to spread avocado on one slice of bread. Spread a layer of pesto on the other slice of bread.
- Top the avocado bread with a single layer of roasted red bell pepper. Then add a layer of cucumber slices, red onion, olives and spring lettuce mix.
- Use a spoon to sprinkle some balsamic reduction over the lettuce. Place the pesto slice on top, pesto side down.
- Dig in and enjoy!
- Yields one sandwich.
- Use vegan (cheese-free) pesto to make this sandwich vegan.
- Feel free to lightly toast the bread beforehand.
Oh yum! This made for an incredibly easy, healthy, fresh tasting lunch today. I loved this sandwich and the combination of ingredients. I will be making this a lot this summer. Thanks, Sharon! Made for VIP Veggie Swap June 2013.