This is a recipe that I adapted from one that I found in one of my old cookbooks. It's amazingly easy to make and it tastes so good for being decently low fat. My father (who is British) insists on me making them for him whenever I visit.These are fantastic reheated in the microwave for a few seconds with some whipped cream on the side or spread with butter. Edit: Ahh - I forgot to add the amount of flour needed in the ingredients. Thank you for the review that pointed it out Beansy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 2/3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk (Or skim or soy milk with a few tablespoons of lemon juice stirred into it. I used fat free 8th conti)
- 1 egg (or 2 egg whites)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup low-fat butter
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 11. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 22. Beat buttermilk (or skim/soy/lemon mixture) with the egg in a small bowl.
- 33. In a mixing bowl, mix together the baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and flour.
- 44. Cut in butter until no large chunks of it remain.
- 55. Mix in sugar.
- 66. Add raisins and mix until they are fully coated with the flour mixture.
- 77. Add milk and egg mixture and mix until dough is moist. (it may appear a bit dry).
- 88. Place dough onto floured surface and knead a few times.
- 99. Split dough into 2 circles and place them onto a cookie sheet, pressing them down until they're about 1-2 inches thick.
- 1010. Using a knife, score the tops of the circles to make 4 wedges.
- 1111. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon topping onto dough.
- 1212. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into them comes up dry.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Golden Raisin Scones
Serving Size: 1 (112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 302.9
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 27.3 mg
- Sodium 444.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 31.1 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: