Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you have baked tofu on hand (Simple Baked Tofu), this is a snap to prepare. I like it with fresh cucumber and sliced bamboo shoots on top. Prep time does NOT included baking the tofu.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 Thai red chili peppers, halved and including seeds
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, refrigerated overnight
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 6 ounces baked tofu, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green peas, frozen
- bamboo shoot (optional)
- cucumber (optional)
- In a small food processor blend the onion and chilies into a coarse paste.
- Warm the oil, over medium-high heat in a wok or large saute pan.
- When hot add the onion/chili paste and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Whisk together the tamari, sugar and ketchup and add to the onion paste. cook for another minute.
- Add the rice and stir until completly coated in the onion/tamari mixture.
- Add the mushrooms, tofu and salt and cook until the mushrooms are soft and the tofu heated through.
- Add the peas and cook until defrosted. Taste for seasoning.
- Serve with the bamboo shoots and cucumber over the top.
Made this for dinner tonight. It was yummy! I tweaked the recipe a bit. I didn't have any red chili peppers and didn't use my food processor. I used diced carrots instead of peas and sauteed them with the onion until tender. Used your baked tofu recipe. For garnish I added green onion, cilantro and chopped peanuts. Thanks for sharing!