Prep 3 mins
Cook 5 mins
With only a few ingredients and about 10 minutes, you can enjoy light, crispy okra anytime. I prefer okra with a light flour coating versus corn meal. I want to taste the okra -- not the breading! Fried okra, a country staple, is best served hot alongside thick-sliced summer tomatoes.
- Slightly beat egg with fork in medium-sized bowl.
- Pour okra into bowl and mix until coated well with egg.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Preheat skillet on medium-high until hot then add enough oil to coat bottom of pan.
- Shake off excess flour from okra then carefully add to skillet. Flip over okra every few minutes, watching carefully so it does not burn on the bottom.
- When golden brown, drain okra on paper towels. Immediately sprinkle with salt and freshly-ground pepper.
Whoever thought to put cornmeal on OKRA!!! I WANT to taste the OKRA not cornmeal! This is a great recipe and tastes FABULOUS! Thanks. I've loved Okra for 50 years I put it in my Brunswick Stew the origional stew must have it ....... If you are truly southern!!! Soooo good. I always try to get people to like it! Eather you do or don't. If you make it rite it's NOT SLIMEY!