Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a simple French Toast that everyone loves for Brunch on New Years' Day. I use whatever bread I have on hand, but I really like crusty Italian bread, cubed.
- 12 cups bread cubes
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 8 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons margarine or 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- Grease a 3 quart rectangular baking dish.
- Place half of the bread cubes in the dish. Top with cream cheese.
- cubes and remaining bread cubes.
- Combine eggs, milk, melted margarine or butter, and maple syrup in a.
- blender container or mixing bowl. Process or beat with.
- a rotary beater until well combined.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over the bread and cheese cubes. Using a.
- spatula, lightly press layers down to moisten.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
- Remove plastic wrap from baking dish. Bake, uncovered,.
- in a 325 oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until center.
- appears set and the edges are lightly golden. Let.
- stand about 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with syrup.
This was quite good. I had a few problems though, and I am not sure if it's because I cut the ingredients in half (for just me and my 2 kids), or if I did something else wrong. But the bread was still pretty dry after baking, and the cream cheese didn't really melt much but stayed in cubes, even after the 40 minutes of baking. But even so, this is quite a tasty breakfast dish. It's quite good fresh out of the oven as is, but it's even better with a little maple syrup drizzled on top. Made for Spring 2011 Pick-A-Chef cooking event.
Nice variation on french toast! I used gluten-free bread and served with maple syrup. Thanks for sharing! PAC Spring '11
I cut this recipe in half for the 2 of us & we thoroughly enjoyed this French toast, with my other half using a pure maple syrup, while I was very satisfied with a recipe for Dutch honey that I found! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]