Recipe by diner524
While watching a morning news show, they made this as a make ahead dish for Christmas morning and it looked so good. I plan to make this year and serve it with some sausage patties and fresh fruit. Update: I made this for Christmas morning and would decrease the eggs by 1/2 next time, as kids felt it tasted too eggy.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
Great breakfast or brunch casserole. Loved the crunchiness of the bread and the pockets of lucious cream cheese. I took your advice and used 6 eggs, but did not reduce the amount of bread - the end result was a toasty bread topping with a creamy middle. This dish is flavorful, but not sweet which allows you to add extra syrup on top and control the amount of sweetness in the dish. Will definitely make again - great holiday dish! Made for the Newest Zaar Tag, June, 2012.
- 10 slices French bread, cubed
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 12 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly coat a 9" x 13" pan with cooking spray.
- Place half of the bread cubes in the bottom of the pan; scatter cream cheese cubes over bread in pan; top with remaining bread cubes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, syrup, milk, sour cream and vanilla; beat together well with a wire whisk. Pour egg mixture over bread & cream cheese cubes.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over the top of the coated bread. Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Uncover dish and place in cold oven. Turn oven on to 350° and bake for 40 - 45 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.
- Serve warm with additional maple syrup.