Recipe by JustJanS
I've only begun to eat fennel and have decided this salad of my own invention is one of the ways I like it the most!
Top Review by I'mPat
Just what I needed a light lunch packed with flavour. I did add a few red capsicum strips for colour as my salad leaves were all green. One word of warning let your pan cool down before you add the balsamic or it splatters everywhere and dries up. Thanks Jan, made for Make My Recipe - Spring Edition.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and sliced reasonably thickly verically
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups salad leaves, bitter ones are good
- 1⁄2 small red onion, sliced very thinly
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shavings
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in frying pan over medium to high heat. add the sliced fennel in a single layer and season with plenty of salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown.
- Turn and season browned side, cook a few minutes more until second side is golden,.
- Remove to a serving plater, then scatter over the leaves, onion and cheese.
- Add the vinegar to the frying pan and heat gently, scraping up any caramelised bits. Pour over the salad and serve.