Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
During the winter when fresh beets are not available, this is what I make. You can use beets out of the garden, just cook them, peel and slice them and reserve some of the juice that you cook them in. I love the way these taste. And they will keep in an airtight container in the 'fridge for quite a while.
- Drain beets, saving the juice. Add water if necessary to make 1-1/2 cups of juice. Set aside.
- Slice onion and combine with the beets in a glass or non-reactive bowl.
- In a sauce pan, heat the beet juice and the vinegar until steaming (not boiling) then add the sugar.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar and heat just to a boil.
- Pour the hot juice over the beets and onions, stir and let cool.
- When cool, cover and refrigerate. They taste best when they have sat for 24 hours.
Made this dish with fresh beets from our garden. We enjoyed these quick and easy beets. Tasty!. Thanks Big Cheese. Bullwinkle.
These were delicious. They tasted just like my grandmother used to make. I knew the ingredients that she used, but I never could get the amounts correct..this was perfect. I was out of ACV so used plain white vinegar and small whole beets. Yummm..so good! Thanks for a great recipe!