During the winter when fresh beets are not available, this is what I make. You can use beets out of the garden, just cook them, peel and slice them and reserve some of the juice that you cook them in. I love the way these taste. And they will keep in an airtight container in the 'fridge for quite a while.
- Drain beets, saving the juice. Add water if necessary to make 1-1/2 cups of juice. Set aside.
- Slice onion and combine with the beets in a glass or non-reactive bowl.
- In a sauce pan, heat the beet juice and the vinegar until steaming (not boiling) then add the sugar.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar and heat just to a boil.
- Pour the hot juice over the beets and onions, stir and let cool.
- When cool, cover and refrigerate. They taste best when they have sat for 24 hours.