Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Being from Maryland, I know very well homemade crab soup. This is not that recipe. This is a very quick crab and tomato soup recipe that is used to finish extra crab meat off. Being a base recipe, please use this to be creative with, adding or subtracting ingredients and adjusting seasonings for you and your families enjoyment. I haven't used canned crab in this recipe, but feel free to try it!
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can water
- 1 cup crabmeat (lump, back fin, special, or claw)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning (more if you like it spicy)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 stalks asparagus, fresh (cut up)
- Melt butter in a soup pot until tender.
- Add minced garlic, cook for 30 seconds on medium heat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, *except crab* until heated thoroughly. (Add optional ingredients if using).
- Stir carefully, add crab meat, making sure not to break up crab chunks.
- Serve in warmed bowls, (warm bowls under warm water for 1 minute) adding croutons to float on top.
This is wonderful and easy! This is a favorite already. I added carrots and celery, but otherwise did the recipe as specified. A friend of mine added diced tomatoes and seafood stock, and said it was great! Thanks for posting.
This is a great, healthy alternative to the cream cheese heavy crab recipes that abound. i used Kittencal's Thick and Rich Creamy Tomato Soup http://www.recipezaar.com/Thick-and-Rich-Creamy-Tomato-Soup-350894 in place of the canned stuff. For my veggies, i just used celery. Like a seaside bloody mary for dinner (sans vodka, of course). Delish.
OMG Andi. This was great. I used canned crab and made just as stated, super easy and yummy. DH loved it too. I used asparagus in mine but will use a combo of veggies next time. Thanks so much for submitting this.