Recipe by Jenipher
Always get compliments -- and my young children love helping make this one! I got this recipe off a website four yrs ago. (I don't recall which.) It's attributed to Susan Gayle Hood in PA. Susan -- this is simple and full of flavor!
Top Review by Katie's Mom
This is a wonderful pie! But I did make some changes. First, I did cut the sugar in the filling down to 1/2 cup, as suggested by another reviewer. Then I used only 1 teaspoon of cinnamon for the filling, and added 1 teaspoon of apple pie spice. For the streusel, I substituted brown sugar for about half the total because I like the taste. It got rave reviews - my husband took one look and informed me we didn't have enough ice cream in the house!
- 3 cups diced apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- cinnamon, to taste (I use about 2T.)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup margarine or 1⁄3 cup butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl mix apples, 1C sugar, milk, cinnamon, 1T flour, 2T margarine/butter.
- Pour into unbaked 9" pie shell.
- Make crumb topping by mixing 1/2C sugar, 1/3C margarine/butter and 3/4C flour.
- Dab crumb topping over the top of the pie to form a crust.
- Bake at 450* F for 30-40 minute.