Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
There are plenty of recipes out there (really good recipes) that call for ingredients that "spice up" or "fancy up" a beef stew recipe. I'm a plain cook and I like to let the main ingredients flavor a recipe as much as possible just using salt & pepper as my seasonings. If you are looking for fancy, spiced up or a recipe that will take you more than 10 minutes to add to the crockpot -- please skip this one. If you are looking for a easy-to-make, simple, basic yet delicious beef stew and you are OK with the fact that it's able to stand on it's own without herbs, spices or ingredients you can't pronounce, then you may be interested in this one. Perfect for picky kids or someone who has never really cooked before.
- 680.38 g stewing beef
- 4 carrots
- 4 potatoes
- 1 large sweet onion
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 stalk celery
- 236.59 ml water
- 59.16 ml cornstarch (optional)
- 118.29 ml water (optional)
- Basic Info about the ingredients:.
- This recipe is very forgiving -- so if you only have 3 potatoes, no biggie. The important thing is that you get what you have in a crockpot!
- Amount of beef is flexible -- just buy around amount called for and don't sweat being exact.
- All veggies need to be washed & cut into thick slices or chunks.
- Potatoes should be left UNPEELED. I prefer red potatoes because I always leave the peel on - Yukon Gold are also a good choice).
- Ready? Here Goes!
- Dump beef in crockpot.
- Dump thickly sliced carrots, thick chunks of potato, celery & onion in crockpot.
- Open can of diced tomatoes with the juice, pour on top of beef and veggies.
- Dump 1 cup water and about a palm-sized amount of salt in the crockpot and give it a bit of a stir.
- Set crockpot to low and cook for 6-8 hours. If it ends up cooking longer - no biggie. It won't hurt the stew.
- If you feel the stew is too liquid-- right before you get ready to serve, you can add 4 tablespoons of corn starch to about 1/2 cup of water until dissolved and pour over stew and stir until the broth thickens.
This was sooo simple and soooooo good. It was not as thick as I like so I just did 2 tbs of flour and 1/2 cup cold water and it instantly thickened. I would probably add more veggies next time...and I did add a little Mrs Dash lemon pepper and some parsley flakes. this is a keeper!!!