Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is very tasty, healthy and easy to make. I serve this with Ginger Yogurt Sauce which is excellent or plain yogurt on a bed of spiced middle eastern rice such as, Yellow Rice with an addition of raisins or Arabic Style Rice With Lamb Meat, using ground beef and Baharat Aka Middle East Mixed Spices - the Real Mix instead of allspice for better flavour. Lately we love it on top of Rice with Almonds and Dates as well.
- 1⁄2 butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Deseed and wash squash. Keep the peel on.
- Greese 9" X 13" pan with 1 tbs of the canola oil.
- Place squash half face down in pan and carefully add water up to 1 1/2"s from the bottom of the pan.
- Put in preheated oven for 50 minutes or until tender.
- Take squash out of oven and empty any remaining water.
- Flip squash carefully and sprinkle dark brown sugar, and cinnamon over top if using.
- Drizzle with remaining canola oil.
- Place in oven until sugar is melted approximately 7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool if you have time this way you can peel the squash for easier eating.
- What I do is make rice and then warm it all up in the same greased pan with the peeled squash on top of the rice which I slice into two pieces for DH and I.
- (We eat from the same serving platter adding yogurt to our individual portions.).
Simply delicious describes this perfectly! We both loved this! Butternut squash is so good. I like that there is no butter and the sugar/cinnamon mixture has the right ratios. The technique makes for a very moist squash too. Thank you Ummm Binat for sharing another great recipe.
This is one of those recipes I didn't mind doubling (using the whole squash) even though there were just the 2 of us (2nds & 3rds were just as tasty as the first time around!), & I did use a Splenda & brown sugar blend! Absolutely wonderful in the flavor dept, & a great keeper of a recipe, too! [Made & reviewed in the Almost 5 Special Event]
Love, love, loved this! My kids loved it too, so I'll be making it again. The only thing I did different was I used splenda instead of brown sugar because I had run out of brown sugar and it was still wonderful! Thanks for a keeper!