Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Fresh and fulfilling, sure to be favorite! I devised this simple recipe and everyone loves it!
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 12 -15 fresh basil leaves
- 4 -5 vine ripened tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese (or combination of both) or 1 -1 1⁄2 cup pecorino romano cheese (or combination of both)
- 1 loaf fresh baguette
- salt and pepper
- Dice tomatoes, drain excess juice.
- Coarsley chop basil leaves (I use scissors).
- In a medium plastic or glass mixing bowl, combine tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, basil, salt and pepper. (Don't use a metal bowl because of the acid from the tomatoes.).
- Cover with plactic wrap. Allow mixture to set for a few hours for best flavor. (Do not refrigerate, it will make the tomatoes mushy).
- Preheat broiler.
- Slice the baguette diagonally, about 3/4" thick, and place under broiler to toast on BOTH sides. You can do this in advance.
- Lay the toasted baguette slices on a pan or cookie sheet.
- With a slotted spoon, scoop the mixture onto each slice. Be sure to drain off any excess liquid to prevent sogginess.
- Top each slice with the shredded cheese and place under broiler immediately.
- Watch closely and broil for 3-6 minutes, until cheese is melted and tomatoes are warm.
- Enjoy immediately!