Simple Dark Chocolate Souffles
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lightly butter 4 6-oz. ramekins and coat with sugar (pour 1 tbsp into one of the ramekins, swirl to coat, pour into the next and repeat).
- Melt the chocolate in a large mixing bowl and whisk together with sugar, kahlua (other liqueur or cream) and vanilla extract. Mixture will be thick and pasty. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, followed by the flour.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Whisk 1/3 of beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Fold in remaining egg whites in two additions, folding until mixture is uniform and no streaks of egg whites remain.
- Divide evenly into prepared ramekins and wipe edges to ensure they are clean. This helps the souffles get an even rise. Place ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until souffles are well-risen and set at the edges (center may appear wet, but should still be set).
- Serve immediately.