Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My mom always had a bowl of this in the fridge during the summer, and now I do too! My mom sliced her cucumbers and onions in cold salt water for a few hours first, but I usually do not. I do not notice difference when they are not soaked. Instead of peeling the cucumbers completely, I leave a few stripes of green to add color to the salad. Note: Cooking time includes time to chill salad before serving.
- 2 -3 medium cucumbers, sliced very thin
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Combine oil, vinegar, and sugar in a medium to large bowl (big enough to hold all completed salad). Stir until sugar is dissolved (Note: You can heat the dressing to help keep it from separating. It is not necessary, but I do if I have time. If you heat the dressing, be sure to cool it before adding to cucumbers).
- Add cucumbers and onions to dressing. Toss to coat veggies.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving. The longer it chills, the better it gets!
My mom used to make this all summer long BUT put ice cubes in it ! I am now going to make a batch because I cannot remember how long it's been since I had some......
My go-to recipe for cukes and onions. Started making these in 2009 and we LOVE it! I agree on making it ahead of time so the flavors can work their magic. Thanks for the simple recipe!
I made for Fall Pick a Chef 2011 and I am soooo glad I found this recipe. I heated the dressing as sugggested and this is so good to have in the fridge when you want a little snack. Only DH snacked alot! Thank you for submitting the recipe.