1/6 Photos of Simple Crock Pot Beef Stew
8 hrs 10 mins
Mommy Diva's Note:
Just a silly twist on beef stew I threw together. All depends on your personal taste what you like to add in. These are ours. ;) I find that it just gets better the longer it cooks - and that you can sort of use the cooking times as "guidelines". Sometimes I start out the night before while making another quick meal (I made it during my Family Pleasing Chicken Paprika) and let it go slowly over night for the next evening's meal - the picture I posted is from that. ***Note: (I tend to be heavy handed when I shake or pour spices so measurements are approx. go by your own tastes)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 lbs beef, I used fajita cut meat
- 2 tablespoons flour, approx. (to dredge meat in)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 cup red wine, approx. 1/3 bottle (I used cabernet sauvignon)
- 3 -4 carrots
- 2 1/2 russet potatoes, large baking style (cubed)
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons garlic, more to taste
- black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen peas
- 1 cup birdseye white pearl onion, frozen
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 (32 ounce) cartons beef broth, I like Pacific Natural Foods brand organic
- 2 tablespoons tony cachere's cajun brown gravy mix
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1Lightly dredge beef in flour with 1 teaspoon garlic powder, black pepper to taste, a pinch of salt, and paprika.
- 2Brown in pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 3Add to crock pot.
- 4Mix in crock pot all remaining ingredients except the peas and onions (hold aside the gravy mix, cold water and corn starch until the end to thicken).
- 5Cook for 6 hrs on high or 8 hours on low if you are leaving house.
- 6Turn down to low and simmer as long as needed.
- 7Thicken "soup" base to desired consistency using brown gravy mix and corn starch with 1 cup cold water.
- 8Be sure to whisk thoroughly before adding to crock pot to avoid lumps.
- 9Add peas and onions and cook for at least 2 hours prior to serving.
- 10Remove all bay leaves, serve with crusty bread or your favorite starch.
- 11Enjoy ;).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Crock Pot Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (459 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 957.3
- Calories from Fat 763
- Total Fat 84.8 g
- Saturated Fat 34.2 g
- Cholesterol 112.4 mg
- Sodium 1061.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 16.2 g