Montana Heart Song's Note:
This is an economy soup. You may add minced chicken or cooked minced hamburger if you want. This is created to feed many and give quick energy with little expense. This serves 6, double or triple it if you wish in a large stockpot. Some of my own, think it is perfect as it is. Tell me what you think. Use when cupboards are bare or you are out of energy to cook. I put this in the crockpot to let it cook all day on low. You may use a stock pot if you wish. On the stove, 20 minutes tops. This is very spicy. The Tostito creamy salsa has jalapeno peppers in it. Use any salsa. Just use the blender to make the salsa creamy. No one has guessed yet that the main ingredient used is flour tortillas. Serve with bread sticks and salad.Note: Reader will not show amount if you use vegetable bouillon cubes - 2 or 3 in the water.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (9 inch) flour tortillas, dried, crushed
- 2 quarts water
- 4 ounces tostito creamy salsa
- 1/4 cup dried onion
- 2 teaspoons sysco chicken base (2) or 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon cubes (2)
- vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped or 1/8 cup dried cilantro
- 1/2 cup celery, finely minced (optional)
- 1 carrot, grated (optional)
- 1Two ways to crush or blend tortillas: 1) Put chunks of tortillas in food processor until fine; or 2) Break into chunks and put in the soup.
- 2When soup is done cooking, put into blender to puree.
- 3Caution! when blending hot foods, do not fill blender full.
- 4Add the tortilla small pieces or tortilla fine crumbs to crockpot or stock pot.
- 5Add the water.
- 6Add the creamy salsa (any you prefer).
- 7Add the chicken base or cubes or vegetable cubes.
- 8Add dried onions, cilantro, minced celery celery, grated carrots.
- 9Cover, cook on medium heat until bubbling, then simmer. Cooking time is 20 minutes. Take off burner. Blend soup in small amounts in blender and pour into tureen. Do not blend, if tortillas are finely crushes and salsa is creamy.
- 10Note: I have added grated cheese to each bowl to have a variance right before serving.
- 11Salt before serving to your taste.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Cream of Tortilla Salsa Soup
Serving Size: 1 (381 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.4
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 284.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: