Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe adapted from a 1973 book called "Chinese Cookery"
- 1⁄2 lb fresh crab
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1⁄2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking sherry
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed into
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Flake crab meat, removing hard membranes. Remove flowers from asparagus and set aside. Cut stalks into 2" pieces. Cook asparagus flowers and stalks in boiling, salted water for 3 minutes then drain.
- In a large pot, bring sherry, soy sauce and chicken broth to a boil.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet or wok on medium heat and cook green onion for no more than 1 minute. Add crab meat and asparagus for 2 minutes more.
- Add vegetables and crab meat to the broth mixture. Stir in hot sauce and corn starch mixture. Simmer until broth thickens slightly (about a minute).
- Garnish with chives and serve!