Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A healthy and nutritious summery side dish. This has been a hit at potlucks and campsites as well as family dinners - just scale the recipe to the number of servings you need. Quick and easy, and great for leftovers as well! Add or change ingredients as you prefer - halved cherry tomatoes, diced cucumber, drained canned corn... even add some tuna, chicken, or ham. Play with your favourite flavours in this versatile recipe!
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous (regular couscous also works)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup garlic-infused olive oil or 1⁄4 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To make your own garlic-infused olive oil: Thinly slice two cloves of garlic. Add to a small saucepan with olive oil. Heat on medium-low until garlic just begins to brown - do not burn garlic! Remove from heat and use a slotted spoon to remove garlic from oil. Discard garlic slices. Set aside oil.
- In a medium saucepan, bring chicken stock to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in couscous. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff couscous with a fork. One at a time, stir in the remaining ingredients (starting with oil/dressing) until well combined.