Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
My favorite cooking appliance is the crockpot. It is so versatile and I am finding can be used for anything. I came up with this recipe and just made it last evening very easy. Only 4 ingredients.
- 2 Cornish hens, split
- 2 white onions, sliced
- 10 small red new potatoes, halved
- spike seasoning
- Split the hens lengthwise wash and pat dry.
- Slice the onions.
- Halve the potatoes.
- Spray a light coating of nonstick spray on bottom of crockpot.
- Sprinkle chicken liberally with spike seasoning both inside and out.
- Lay hens skin side down on bottom of crock pot.
- Layer onion slices on top of hens.
- Dump Potatoes on Onions.
- Sprinkle more Spike seasoning.
- Cover crock pot. Turn to high for about 4 hours and then on warm till served.
This was very yummy and very easy! My cornish hens weren't as defeathered as I would have liked them to be, so I yanked off the skin. To try to make up for the loss of skin, I added a little butter, oil, and cream. I didn't have Spike seasoning, so I just grabbed a Tuscan blend I had in the pantry from Penzey's that smelled like it would do well. Maybe my potatoes were a bit big, the hens were done when we checked them at 4 hrs, but we ran it another hour for the potatoes. We loved it and plan on having it and variations on the theme in the future. Maybe it will turn me into a crock pot cook...
SUPER easy and yummy! :) It was a hit for Christmas guests who couldn't eat the ham, I passed on the link to this recipe to them!