Recipe by Lorri Nichols
With St. Patricks Day just passing I thought I'd share this old corned beef hash recipe. It was my mom's and it is plain and easy, but is so good the next day with fried eggs on top and rye bread toast! I know people add stuff to hash, but this simple hash is always good.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup chopped cooked corned beef
- 3⁄4 cup minced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste (I serve it on the table)
- 3 cups small diced potatoes (or store bought loose hashbrowns.)
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- You'll also want to have some eggs on hand to fry and put ontop of the hash, its tradition in our home. Also, rye bread goes so good with this hash, be sure to use real butter, it adds a rich touch to the rye toast.
- My kids eat this with ketchup -- I think it ruins it, but oh well!
- You can also make this simple hash with left over beef roast. But I would try a diffrent kind of bread for the toast.
- In a good sized frying pan, add the 2 tablespoons butter, then add the onions, saute until they are soft, but not colored (sweat them), then add in the potatoes, and cook them on low heat, and when they are tender, but not soft, approximately 20 mins, add in the meat, the salt, and garlic, cover and don't peak for about 10 mins more, you're just heating the meat up, but it will soften up too.
- While the meat is heating you should be frying your eggs -- to fry an egg, use a straight sided frying pan, fill it 1/4 of the way up with your choice of oil ( I prefer veg. oil).
- Let the oil come to 350 (when you put a drop of water in the oil, it will dance) then crack your egg into a bowl (serves 2 purposes, one you can see if the egg is fresh, secondly - you will be less likey to break the egg then if you break it on the side of the pan), then slide the egg carefully ino the hot oil, it will splatter, so be very careful. Now gently spoon the hot oil over the op of he egg until it is cooked to your tastes -- then scoop out with a metal slotted spoon, and let drain for a few seconds on a piece of paper, then place directly on the hash, repeat until you have enough eggs.
- Put the toaster on the table and let your family and guests make their toast themselves or you will never get to eat, lol.