Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This corned beef is easy to prepare, and is so tasty you'll want to make it often. I like to serve it with Colcannon. If there are any leftovers, I slice it thinly and serve with mustard between slices of warm rye bread. Serving sizes will vary depending on the thickness of slices.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs corned beef (usually sealed in a plastic bag)
- 1 cooking onion, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Remove beef from the plastic bag and rinse.
- Place onion slices in the bottom of the crock pot. Place beef on top.
- Add bay leaf, cloves and peppercorns.
- Mix together the water, mustard and sugar. Pour over the beef.
- Cover, and cook on High for approximately 5 hours.
- When cooked, remove from the broth and allow to rest (covered loosely with foil) for 15 minutes before slicing.
This really was yummy. I served the Colcannon recipe as well and we all felt a little bit Irish!
Oh so easy to do and so moist and tasty, great corned beef. I have Kambrook crockpot and used a 1.5k corned beef and took **Jubes** tip and doubled the water but left everything else the same and cooked for 3 hours on automatic and 2.5 hours on high. Served with recipe #106401 and recipe #274038. Thank you Diana #2, made as a recipenap for Aussie/Kiwi Swap #36 as a recipenap.
*Reviewed for Aussie Forum Recipe Tag* Great recipe- my family loved this juicy tender corned beef. I used a 1.4 kilo piece and doubled the liquid. I have a family sized 'Sunbeam' crock/slowcooker which seems to cook everything up quickly on High. 5 hours was cooked to perfection. Served with mashed potato, gravy and steamed peas. Great recipe Diana. Photos also to be posted