Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This cornbread is a favorite in our house. It has great flavor and texture, and it's not too bad for you either! :-) Serve wedges of piping hot bread with chili, soup, scrambled eggs...
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sucanat or 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- Stir dry ingredients together.
- Make a well, add remaining ingredients, and stir just until moistened.
- Pour into sprayed 9 inch pie plate and bake 25 minutes at 400 degrees; cool on rack 15 minutes, invert bread onto rack, and cut into wedges.
- Edited to say: I have been making this with 1/2 cup of unbleached flour and 1/2 cup of wheat germ (increasing the wheat germ), and it is just as delicious -- so try it the healthier way if you are so inclined!
This cornbread was great! So delicious. I've never cared much for cornbread that wasn't full of sugar and that wasn't really soft and moist on the inside. But this is one of the best I've ever tasted and it was so easy to make! I think next time, I will add more wheat germ and a bit of flax seed as well.
Outstanding cornbread--the best flavor and texture of any more-healthful-than-average cornbread I've ever tried--DH and I loved it!! I made a few changes, based on what we had: I used whole wheat pastry flour, sodium-free baking powder, non-fat milk, and replaced all but 1 tablespoon of the the butter with light olive oil. And I baked the cornbread in a glass pie plate--and that worked really well. What a great recipe--I will definitely make it again! Thank you so much A Messy Cook!!
Really good! Made in the cast iron skillet and served with local honey. Used brown sugar. Will try subbing half white whole wheat flour for the unbleached which is my usual sub, and definitely the suggestion of increasing the wheat germ. Thanks, Messy Cook, for a great recipe!