Prep 3 mins
Cook 2 mins
Something I threw together when I was given some fresh tomatoes out of a neighbor's garden. Delicious! If you bake this, put the tomatoes over a muffin pan so they can drain into the muffin cups, or they'll be very watery. We prefer the corn hot but the tomato crisp and raw. This recipe can be easily made vegan by subbing margarine for butter or leaving it out altogether, and skipping the cheese.
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cup corn
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic, minced or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil or 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- salt & pepper
- mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Cut tomatoes in half, then scoop out seeds so you are left with tomato "boats" -- don't scrape the meat off the sides.
- Salt the insides of the tomato boats, then set cut side down to drain on a plate or paper towels.
- In a bowl, place the corn, butter, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Place bowl in microwave for about two minutes, until corn is hot and butter is melted. Stir well.
- Turn tomato boats right side up, and fill with corn mixture. Top with basil and, if desired, a bit of shredded Mozzarella cheese.
- Serve, OR, bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes before serving.