Recipe by Suzy_Q
I wanted a something as close to the deli coleslaw I had growing up and this is it. Great to serve at BBQ's with burgers or with sandwiches. You can easily halve or double this recipe. I like to use a healthier version mayo (Veganaise, Smart Balance, Canola Mayo etc.) and the flavor does not suffer.
- 1 head green cabbage, sliced very thin
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1⁄2 green pepper, sliced very thin
- 1⁄4 onion, sliced very thin
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 -4 tablespoons white wine vinegar or 3 -4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper, and
- sugar, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare vegetables and put in a large bowl. Combine veggies together with your hands. Add oil, vinegar or lemon juice. Next add salt (starting with about 1 tsp.- you can add more later), sugar (about 3 T.) and some white or black pepper (about a 1/2 tsp.). Mix this all up together with the veggies and let sit for a few minutes. Add mayo and mix very well. Adjust seasonings to taste. This is best made at least a day in advance so the flavors can marry. Will keep about a week.