Prep 5 mins
Cook 24 hrs
If you have not visited nomnompaleo.com it is worth the time. This is a very simple coconut yogurt recipe I found on their site and think of all the things you can do with it!!!!
- 13 1⁄2 ounces coconut milk (full fat coconut milk Organic Native Forest is great)
- 1 tablespoon kefir or 1 probiotic capsule, to use as your starter
- You will need a sterile mason jar with lid large enough to hold your full fat coconut milk.
- If you use the full can your yogurt with be liquidy like a thick gravy. If you want a thick yogurt with less liquid put the can in the refrigerator for a few hours until the milk comes to top and the liquid is on bottom.
- Skim off the full coconut milk layer (save the other liquid for a smoothie or something) and put into sterile jar.
- Add the Kefir or opened probiotic capsule and stir into coconut milk.
- Cap the jar and place in oven with the light on for 24 hours. (do not turn oven on). The light and insulation from the oven will keep the temp around 105-110 degrees.
- When it is done fermenting take it out and store in refrigerator or use it the same way you would use any other yogurt.
OMG, this is the most extraordinary yoghurt I have ever eaten! I made it with my milk free yoghurt ferment in the yoghurt maker, using 70% coconut milk. After fermenting for 24 hours, this is incredibly creamy, coconutty and definitely tastes like yoghurt. Better than any milk yoghurt I've ever tried. Thanks for posting, I'll make this again often!<br/>Made for PAC Spring 2014